[OS X TeX] view of a6paper

Doris Wagner doris.wagner at mac.com
Thu Oct 23 20:03:58 CEST 2008

hi list,

I tried out the following codes:

>> \documentclass[a6paper]{article}
>> \usepackage[height=16cm,width=11cm]{geometry}
>> \begin{document}
>> text
>> \end{document}
>>
>> when I open the file with preview, I see that the text only
>> occupies the place needed by a6, but preview shows an a4-paper. how
>> can I change this behaviour?
>

> Need more info: which application is used for viewing?
>
> Regardless of that, try this:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[a6paper]{geometry}
> \begin{document}
> text
>
> \rule{1cm}{1cm}
>
> \end{document}

> This gives the desired result for me, at least I think it does. A6
> paper is 105 by 148 mm, not 16 by 11 as you instruct geometry to use
> later on.
yes, that was wrong, I found out, but changing it did not change the
display behaviour
> Keep in mind that many viewers will scale the page to a maximum zoom.
yes, but then there should be displayed a page of a width that is
greater than the height. this is not the case in my case...

and I tried also this:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[paperheight=10.5cm,paperwidth=14.5cm]{geometry}
\begin{document}
text
\rule{1cm}{1cm}
\end{document}

in all af these 3 cases preview (together with texshop) opens a white
page (seems to be a4). the page number is located at the bottom of a
region corresponding to an a6paper, but within an a4-paper, that is:
the page number is located in the upper third of the displayed white
region which I assume to be the paper form that preview uses.

so, what can I do?