[OS X TeX] Stymied by updmap-sys; what's going on?

tkiffe tom at kiffe.com
Thu Oct 23 18:03:30 CEST 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Gary Church wrote:

> Hello again :-)
>
> First, let me thank those of you kind enough to help me out in the
> past. Thanks!
>
> I'm still struggling with some font related issues that baffle me
> (not too hard to do).
>
> My only current LaTeX system on OS X leopard is MacTeX using
> texlive2008. Previously
> I had a variety of systems installed over the years (texlive2007,
> gwtex, fink and darwin ports versions).
> I recently removed all those distributions and installed MacTeX
> living in /usr/local/texlive/2008/
>
> I have some fonts I bought (tmmath) that provide nice mathematical
> fonts for use with the times roman
> typeface that I put under ~/Library/texmf/
>
> In my latex file I include these fonts with "\usepackage{tmmaths}".
> I also use the amsmath fonts and
> include those with "\usepackage{amsmath}" (I don't know if that is
> relevant but decided to mention it anyway.)
>
> After installing MacTeX, I did various (probably stupid) things
> with updmap and updmap-sys to get my fonts
> recognised and working. This resulted in a directory
> (~/.texlive2008/) and various subdirectories being created.
>
> I did get the fonts working but was annoyed with warnings like:
> "pdfTeX warning: pdflatex
> (file /Users/gary/.texlive2008/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/
> pdftex.map): fontmap entry for `tmbo108r'
> already exists, duplicates ignored" messages and posted to the list
> to try to resolve this minor annoying problem.
> Quite a few good people proffered suggestions but nothing seems to
> resolve the problem.
>
> After digging through newsgroups I found a suggestion to delete the
> whole ~/.texlive2008/ directory tree and to
> redo the configuration with:
>
> sudo mktexlsr
> sudo -H updmap-sys
> sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all
>
> which I did.
>
> When I ran the above "updmap-sys" line, I got a message that my
> font map file tmm-pea.map couldn't be found (at all).
> I guess that is because it is located under ~/Library/texmf.
>
> I then ran "sudo updmap-sys --enable Map tmm-pea.map" and the font
> map file was found. When I latex my source
> file, I still get the "fontmap entry for ... already exists"
> messages but the font's work.
>
> Finally for the (to me) weird part. If I remove the line in my
> latex source file that enables the fonts (\usepackage{tmmaths})
> and latex the document, I still get the "fontmap entry ..."
> messages even though I'm not using these fonts; the document
> is typeset with cmr fonts. At the end of this document are some
> sections of the log file.
>
> Why do I get these "fontmap entry ... exists" messages when I'm not
> even using these fonts?
>
> If I disable my tmm-pea.map file with "sudo updmap-sys --disable
> tmm-pea.map", the cmr fonts are still used but the
> "fontmap...exists" messages disappear.
>
> This font stuff remains an arcane subject to me.

> [...]

Gary,

The files
tmrm108r
tmro108r
tmri108r
tmui108r
tmbi108r
tmbu108r
tmrb108r
tmbo108r
are listed in tmfonts.map, builtin32.map, and download35.map. Since
one or the other of the last two
map is included by updmap the only way to get rid of the duplicate
font entry statements is to
comment out these fonts in your tmfonts.map file and run updmap again.

Tom