[OS X TeX] Using LaTeX to write Greek and Arabic text

Tue Oct 21 21:10:30 CEST 2008

On 21.10.2008, at 21:00, Alex Hamann wrote:

> On 21.10.2008, at 20:39, David Derbes wrote:
>

>> On Oct 21, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:
>>
>>> Alex:

>>> I installed MacTeX Live 2008.  Will that do?  Do I need anything
>>> in my preamble?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Enrico
>>
>> In fact you don't have to use XeLaTeX. You can use the babel
>> package. Here's a snippet:
>>

> Right. I still would go for XeLaTeX.

Sorry, a minor correction/addition:
I meant to write that I used Gentium, not the Book Basic variant.
Try to save this code in utf8 format and run xelatex on it to see a
minimal example at work (make sure you have Gentium installed):

\documentclass[10 pt]{letter}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Gentium}
\begin{document}
Antiochos' power in Asia Minor was limited to ἐπὶ τάδε
τοῦ Ταύρου
\end{document}