[OS X TeX] Using LaTeX to write Greek and Arabic text

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 21 20:39:47 CEST 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:

> Alex:

>> For Greek:
>> use XeLaTeX for processing
>
> I installed MacTeX Live 2008.  Will that do?  Do I need anything in
> my preamble?
>
> Thanks,
> Enrico

In fact you don't have to use XeLaTeX. You can use the babel package.
Here's a snippet:

\documentclass[10 pt]{letter}
\usepackage[english,greek]{babel}
\languageattribute{greek}{polutoniko} %this allows accents
\usepackage{gfsporson}

\begin{document}
\selectlanguage{english}

The root of the word ``physics" is the Greek word
\selectlanguage{greek}\textporson{f'usis}\selectlanguage{english}
(\emph{physis}), meaning ``nature''.

\end{document}

I am using the GFS Porson Greek font which I hope can be found at
CTAN. Some years ago it was available at the Greek Font Society; a
Greek mathematician very kindly provided versions that could be used
with LaTeX. You don't need this;  it will work fine like this:

\documentclass[10 pt]{letter}
\usepackage[english,greek]{babel}
\languageattribute{greek}{polutoniko}

\begin{document}
\selectlanguage{english}

The root of the word ``physics" is the Greek word
\selectlanguage{greek}f'usis\selectlanguage{english} (\emph{physis}),
meaning ``nature''.

\end{document}

but the Greek characters are, in my opinion, not nearly so beautiful
as the GFS Porson.

On the other hand, it may be that for Arabic you will need XeLaTeX,
which is included with the standard MacTeX installation. I don't know
anything about Arabic.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools