[OS X TeX] tlmgr

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Fri Oct 17 18:35:17 CEST 2008

On Fri 17th Oct, 2008 at 08:01, Herbert Schulz seems to have written:

> On Oct 16, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:
>
>> The MacTeX wiki currently recommends running:
>> 	sudo tlmgr update --all
>>
>> Question: is there some reason to prefer this to:
>> 	sudo -H tlmgr update --all
>> ?
>>
>> If not, I suggest the recommendation should be changed as the former
>> can fail in cases where the latter will not. For example, when I last
>> ran the former, it failed to regenerate two formats but it would have
>> succeeded had I used the latter. This is because configuration files in
>> my personal tex tree screwed up the generation of two formats I've never
>> actually used. This could be especially problematic on multi-user
>> systems.
>>
>> It seems more appropriate for the system-wide formats to not depend on
>> user-specific settings in the personal tex tree of the user who happens
>> to update the installation. If a user wants to generate personal
>> formats, that's fine but should presumably be done with fmtutil rather
>> than fmtutil-sys which is what tlmgr calls.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> - cfr
>
> Howdy,
>
> I'm not quite sure qhy the formats weren't regenerated. Do you have anything
> in a ~/.texlive2008 directory? Is there a web2c sub-directory?

Right now, all I have is an empty texmf-var. I cleared out some font
files there I didn't need after fiddling to get the documentation for
the croation package to compile. (Since I know nothing of croation, I
figured I'm unlikely to need them again anytime soon.)

I know what it didn't like: my color.cfg. Not when generating formats for
jadetex and pdfjadetex.

> If you have fonts, etc., with map files, etc., in your personal tree then
> when tlmgr runs updmap-sys it won't find them if you use the -H parameter.

Ah, yes. So there's no obvious answer. Although on a multi-user system,
you wouldn't want those in the sys files. But that's not the case for
lots of us...

- cfr