[OS X TeX] Using the new version of asymptote (v. 1.44)

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 13 22:55:29 CEST 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:

> I am wondering if there is any recent comparison between pstricks,
> tikz and asymptote?  I need to learn one of them.  I have had a decent
> but small experience with tikz, but I will need to generate soon lotsa
> graphs, flow charts, and so.   I use LaTeX for just about everything
> (papers, dissertation, computer presentations) and like the idea of
> having the code of the graphics embedded in my LaTeX code.  Similarly
> I like having the R code in my tex files using Rweave.
>
> Any comments?  Which of these packages do you recommend?

Asymptote is a bit immature yet, IMHO, and tikz, while very promising,
lacks the range of packages available with pstricks. The main problems
with pstricks are its easily forgettable syntax and its problems with
large data, but in the latter case,  I find that using gnuplot to draw
only the graph without the axes or labels, then exporting as an eps
for inclusion by pstricks, which finishes with axes and labels, to be
a very capable combination. You might also consider sketch (http://www.frontiernet.net/~eugene.ressler/
), which provides excellent 3d rendering, and allows inclusion of
pstricks code.

Michael