[OS X TeX] wierd rule behavior

Joel Anderson anderson at math.psu.edu
Tue Oct 7 19:21:56 CEST 2008

Thanks for your response.  Here's a simpler description.

If I tex  the file

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{amsmath,amsthm,amsfonts,latexsym,amscd}

\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}

$\sqrt{2}$

\end{document}

the square root looks fine on the screen.  But when I print it, the
horizontal bar on top of the
square root doesn't appear on the printed page. Adding various other
commands produces seemingly random
behavior.  Some bars print sometimes and not others.  I can't find any
pattern except that I don't
have the problem on a 10.4 machine.

Joel Anderson