[OS X TeX] Lucida

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Oct 4 15:14:42 CEST 2008

On Oct 4, 2008, at 6:43 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> % sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
> updmap: This is updmap, version 1211742332
> updmap: using transcript file `/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/
> web2c/updmap.log'
> updmap: initial config file is `/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-config/
> web2c/updmap.cfg'
> updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged. Map files will not be
> recreated.
>
> However, it still complains
>> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+417/600 --
>> dpi 417 hlhr8r
>> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlhr8r.
>> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
>> )
>> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file hlhr8r): Font hlhr8r at 417 not found
>
> However:
>
> % find /Users/mk/Library/texmf -name "hlcrf8r*" -print
> /Users/mk/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/bh/lucida/hlcrf8r.tfm
>
> Perhaps I need to remove the not-Mac-specific installation using
> install-tl?

Howdy,

1)Didn't you run updmap rather than updmap-sys at some point? Remove
the ~/.texlive2008 directory and its contents. It will be recreated if/
when it is needed.

2)Try to disable the map and then re-enable it using the suggested

sudo updmap-sys --syncwithtrees
sudo updmap-sys --disable lucida.map
sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

which will have updmap-sys pick up the additional map(s), force the
disabling of the lucida map and then re-enable the map cleanly. You
can speed the process up a bit by adding the options `--nohash --
nomkmap' to the first two commands; e.g.,

sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --disable lucida.map
sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

which will not take the time to re-create the system map file on those
runs.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)