[OS X TeX] How to update MacTex

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 23:01:21 CEST 2008

I keep wondering why the user friendly Mac does not have a (La)TeX
package manager as that in MikTeX yet? Are there serious technical
barrier? The feature will be very useful to the beginners (including
me).

JT

Here's an excerpt from MikTeX's website:

Integrated package management

MiKTeX's integrated package manager installs missing components from
the Internet, if required.

For example, the LaTeX directive

\usepackage{memoir}
would trigger the installer, if the memoir package is not already installed.

This unique feature allows you to keep your computer clutter-free:
only install packages you actually need.