[OS X TeX] Wanted: editor with special skills

Dominikus Heinzeller siegfried_ohneland at gmx.net
Wed Oct 1 16:32:56 CEST 2008

Dear MacTeX Users,

I am a new member of this mailing list, so please forgive me if this
question came up before. I switched to Mac about a month ago,
previously using Windows (and Linux for the real stuff like
astrophysical simulations). I am very happy with this decision and I
also managed to get almost everything running in a similar or better
way than before.

However, I have one specific question concerning a reasonable editor
for LaTeX. Under Windows, there is an excellent software called
WinEdt, which has one special feature I really need and which I could
not find thus far for any editor available under MAC: read-and-write
translations. This means that when a file is read from the disk, a
certain combination is replaced and displayed with another one. For
example, in the ASCII file on the disk there is a text passage
"r{\'e}sum{\'e}e". The translation mechanism recognizes {\'e} and
converts it into é, producing a résumée in WinEdt. This has the big
advantage that the text is readable, spell checking is possible and at
the same time, the ASCII file is really platform independent (since it
contains only non-special characters). When typing with a French
keyboard in WinEdt, I can also use the special characters such as é,
which makes typing very fast. The internal translation mechanism
converts é back to {\'e} when saving the file on the disk. Along with
that, WinEdt provides perfect support of LaTeX features like an IDE
and has a very convenient spellchecker. If, by hazard, anyone knows an
editor capable of that, please tell me. I am also willing to pay for
it in case it is shareware (so is WinEdt). Thank you!

Best regards,

Dominikus

--
Dr. Dominikus Heinzeller
Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics
email: dominikus at heinzeller.eu
cell: +49-170-7744149