[OS X TeX] Screen font problems

Chris Skeels Chris.Skeels at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Nov 21 21:59:06 CET 2008

I have MacTeX-2008 on an intel iMac running 10.5.5 and I am suffering what
looks like a classic example of MacTeX FAQ Q0.1.  Specifically, certain
glyphs are missing when trying to view documents on the screen.  Mostly
these are things like Greek characters, minus signs, etc, although they may
just be the ones I am noticing.  This is the case for TeXniscope, Skim and
Preview.  Acrobat works just fine.  I have followed the advice there:
downloaded the appropriate version of OnyX, cleaned the font cache and
rebooted.  Sometimes after this process Skim will open the file correctly
the first time but if I update the file, or look at it with any other
viewer, then the problem reappears.  Any suggestions of what else would be
worth a try?

Cheers, Chris