[OS X TeX] latex->dvips->Distiller->Acrobat Professional

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Tue Nov 18 16:46:57 CET 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2008, at 6:21 AM, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>>> I suggest that you use simpdftex as follows:
>>> This will latex your file and will generate directly the filename.pdf in
>>> one shot.
>>> Then, if you use Skim instead of Acrobat Professional as a PDF previewer
>>> in production time, then it will reload automatically the new PDF without
>>> further ado.
>>
>> I've tried this command in Carbon Emacs, by setting it in AUCTeX. It works
>> well, except that:
>>
>> - the reloading is not automatic. I have to use manually Revert from the
>> the File menu in Skim.
>>
>> - synctex functions only by placing "\synctex=1" in the preamble of
>> filename.tex.
> I use
>
> simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-synctex=1" --distiller ps2pdf14
>
> (i.e., with the --extratexopts "-synctex=1" option) with TeXShop and it
> generates the .syctex.gz file

Setting-up this command in AUCTeX has improved the situation:

- synctex works in the direction Skim -> Emacs
- not in Emacs -> Skim
- pdf updates in Skim only by Revert

I've tried Herb's command by adding the option "--mode dvips", and
couldn't see difference.

It seems that, as of now, a previous version of simpdftex-1 by Enrico
Franconi does best, without the jump from Emacs -> Skim. It opens a new
dvi window. Perhaps I need to change some of the viewing commands in
AUCTeX.

Roussanka