[OS X TeX] A bug in TS?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Nov 16 23:25:13 CET 2008

Hello Warren,

On 17/11/2008, at 9:15 AM, Warren Nagourney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using TeXshop 2.18 on  a Powerbook running 10.4.11. When I
> typeset the following sentence, a leading "1" in the formula is
> left out:
>
> The damping time is $1/\zeta\omega_n=(1/\tau+\sigma\Gamma n_0)/2
> \approx 10^{-9}~\mbox{s}$.
>
> However, when I put a space after the first $, it works correctly.
> I typeset the same document on a Latex machine (using Kile) and it
> worked properly without the space (as it should). In other cases,
> leading characters in online equations usually do not cause
> problems (it failed in another case with a leading numeric).

The only way that I can envision such a problem is if there are other
packages
involved (e.g., pdfsync ), perhaps compiled into the LaTeX format,
or this line occurs within some special environment where the meaning of
some things has been changed.

To try debugging this, can you send:

   1. the complete preamble of the document in which it occurs;

   2. the complete .log file, or Console output -- *both* would be
best ---
      that you obtain when replacing that line by the following.

  The damping time is {\tracingall $1/\zeta\omega_n=(1/\tau+\sigma
\Gamma n_0)/2\approx 10^{-9}~\mbox{s}$.}

Send these to me off-list, and I'll see what I can discover
about this.

> When I use the LateX Equation Editor, it works fine, so it is not
> the TeX engine, apparently. Also, in a fresh document, things work
> properly.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on?

At present, no idea.
But it shouldn't be too hard to find out
if you send me the above files.

> Thanks.
>
> Warren Nagourney

Hope this helps,