[OS X TeX] TeXshop - preview jumping after typeset

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Mon Nov 10 20:08:36 CET 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Warren Nagourney wrote:
>> My concern about speed is in part due to the fact that TeXtures on
>> both a G5 and the latest Intel Mac takes about 1 second to typeset
>> the entire TeXbook. I realize that TeXtures is carefully optimized
>> on both architectures, but my 200 page document takes about 20 to
>> 30 seconds to typeset. My book is somewhat simpler than the TeXbook
>> (so far).  The speed is very sensitive to the number of apps open -
>> with a completely "clean plate" (no apps running), the typeset time
>> can be a little as 10 seconds or so and this time can treble if I
>> have a number of apps open. This suggests memory management issues,
>> which inspired my question about caches or a ram disk. (I have 1 Gb
>> of ram).
>
> Howdy,
>
> Add more RAM. 1GB of RAM will definitely slow your computer because
> of lots of swapping. I'd use at least 2GB and 4GB if possible.
> You'll notice the difference right away.

RAM is very cheap right now, at least for newer machines.  I recently
picked up 4GB of 800Mhz DDR2 RAM from Crucial.com for my iMac for $62
(plus shipping).

The move from 2GB to 4GB made a huge difference for me, though I do
tend to keep a lot of heavy-duty programs running.  So far I haven't
been able to load enough to see any discernible swapping.

Chris Menzel