[OS X TeX] opcit problem

Will Lowe conjugateprior at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:17:28 CET 2008

Hi all,

I have run into a rather odd problem with the opcit package,
apparently unmentioned in previous list conversations.  Does anyone
recognize it?

Running bibtex on a file containing the header:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{opcit}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}
\usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}

and only \cite commands, generates the following message:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.7)
The top-level auxiliary file: example2.aux
The style file: opcit.bst
No `"' to end string literal---line 552 of file opcit.bst
No `"' to end string literal---line 553 of file opcit.bst
Database file #1: bibliography.bib

The offending lines of opcit.bst are:

551          'skip$
552          { "\bibpunctuation'' \newblock\toomit[howpublished]
{\bibcase
553              " howpublished  * write$
554            "}" 'quotes :=
555          }

but I'm afraid this stuff makes no sense to me.  The local setup is a
straight MacTeX 2008 with UTF-8 encoded source and bibliography files,
compiled with TeXShop.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?  Suggestions welcome,

Will