[OS X TeX] Building Asymptote with OpenGL support

Jean-Claude DE SOZA jeanclaudedesoza at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 8 07:32:14 CET 2008

Bonjour Nirav,

> 1) There seems to be a dependency on the freeglut library.  I
> downloaded and built it, but had to shut off warnings when I ran ./
> configure.  There are no tests included in the Makefile, so I'm not
> sure if this worked properly.

I have succeeded to compile and install Freeglut on 10.5 but I used
some workarounds.
When configuring, you should have a warning like this:
checking GL/gl.h usability... no
checking GL/gl.h presence... no
checking for GL/gl.h... no
Freeglut looks for some libraries it doesn't find. I made a symlink
in /usr/local/include targeting the GL directory which is in  /usr/X11/
include.
After that reconfigure and now you should have:
checking GL/gl.h usability... yes
checking GL/gl.h presence... yes
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
Then you can do a make which ends with an error complaining about
"long long" (I don't remember what exactly) in the Xmd.h  file which
is in /usr/X11/include/X11.
Go to the line 155 (I'm not sure!) and comment it. Save and do a make.
It should go to the end without any problem then sudo make install.
Don't forget to uncomment the line in Xmd.h and save.

> 2) When I then try to build asymptote, the linker fails to find a
> whole bunch of references to things like _glBegin etc.  Looks like
> the linker is failing to find the OpenGL library.

I configured Asymptote 1.49 without extra options but the making
process ends with an error I can't solved.
Nevertheless, I installed Asymptote and it works but not in all cases.

Jean-Claude DE SOZA