[OS X TeX] Acrobat Presentation Bundle -- Webdings

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Fri Nov 7 15:06:57 CET 2008

> PS: I can't believe that MikTeX doesn't use things like updmap to
> add/delete/activate map files; using an ancient, i.e., probably outdated,
> updmap.cfg file to override your map is just plain wrong.

I don't think that's what the instructions suggest. They are telling
you to take your system's copy of updmap.cfg as the basis and then to
add a line enabling the map file fragment they provide. You're only
adding something to your version of the file so it will be entirely
up-to-date.

It is still an awkward way of going about it and probably not a great
idea but it doesn't have the disadvantage you are concerned about here,
I don't think.

It would probably be better to use updmap-sys's enable or edit options,
though, rather than trying to make a local copy - given the problems
and confusions which this has caused users on OS X. At least, it
probably would be on a single-user system - less clear on a multi-user
machine, I think.

But all this is irrelevant if (1) you don't own a copy of the relevant
font or (2) you do, but it is not installed correctly for TeX or (3)
it is but it can't be used with latex as opposed to pdflatex. Etc. etc.

- cfr