[inbox] Re: [OS X TeX] OT: OS X 10.5.3

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Thu May 29 22:26:40 CEST 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 29, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Jens Noeckel wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> within an hour after upgrading to 10.5.3, I've had a problem
>> involving Preview. A PDF file downloaded from the web initially
>> displayed correctly, and while it was still open I did various
>> things in Bibdesk and Spotlight in quick succession. Suddenly the
>> Finder window containing my Spotlight Search froze, the Preview
>> file I had been reading had all its fonts corrupted, and I
>> couldn't open any new Finder windows. I re-launched the Finder and
>> re-opened the PDF in Preview, and everything was back to normal.
>> Since I was doing so many things rather quickly, I wasn't able to
>> reproduce the exact steps that led to this problem (don't know
>> what happened first, the Finder freezing or Preview acting up),
>> but it definitely went hand in hand with Preview garbling fonts.
>> I'm unable to give any explanation, just wanted to let you know -
>> this is on an eight-core Mac from early 2008 that never had
>> anything but Leopard installed.
>>
>> And of course, the problem with Preview's copying of PDF
>> selections is still there after the update: cropped parts are not
>> hidden when pasting into iWork applications, I still have a need
>> for the script I posted a few weeks ago at
>> http://www.uoregon.edu/~noeckel/PreviewLeopard.html
>>
>> Jens
>

> Howdy,
>
> This sounds like a Font Cache problem. Download Onyx 1.95 (or
> 1.96beta if your adventurous) from <http://www.titanium.free.fr/
> pgs2/english/download.html> and use its Font Cache Cleaner feature.
> You may have to reboot.
>
> Let us know if that fixes things and if it comes back.
>
> Do you run any haxies, etc? I haven't had much trouble with Font
> Cache corruption but there have been a few folks that have
> repeating problems.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz

Hi,
I myself haven't seen anything like this since the days of Panther or
Jaguar, so I was quite surprised. I can't think of any invasive
programs installed on that machine (at least not more invasive than
MacTeX, and no kernel extensions). I may give Onyx a try. I haven't
even logged out (let alone rebooted) after this problem happened, and
so far it hasn't reappeared.

And for completeness, printing from Preview in Leopard has worked
fine for me so far.

Jens