[inbox] Re: [OS X TeX] OT: OS X 10.5.3

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri May 30 00:58:50 CEST 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 3:13 PM, François Chaplais wrote:

> Le 29 mai 08 à 16:43, pacotomi a écrit :
>

>> Le 28 mai 08 à 21:33, François Chaplais a écrit :
>>

>>> I would appreciate as much feedback on this as (personnally) this
>>> issue is the only one that keeps me from switching to leopard...
>>>

>> Feedback on what ? xpdf or the bug ?
>> I currently use Fourier. The small caps crashed preview, skim etc.
>> (except Adobe Acrobat).  With 10.5.3 all is fine (viewing and
>> printing).
>>
>> pacotomi
>
> My apologies for hitting the "send" button in mail.app too fast. I
> will just layout my workflow, the question being: this works in
> 10.4.11, will it work in 10.5.3?
>
> I work with a colleague who runs a windows machine. By decreasing
> order of frequency, I:
>
> 1) edit LaTeX+(amsmath,amssymb,amsthm,epsfig,graphics) source files
> in plain ASCII (with Alpha X); typeset and preview in TeXshop
> +pdflatex with the october 2007 MacTeX release. Classes are plain
> article or journal based classes. Font are either CM or Times,
> AFAIK. Figures are PDF (either from various Mac apps, or converted
> from EPS to PDF by TeXshop).
> 2) mail sources and/or PDF files generated in the previous step to
> my colleague (who works with a windows XP machine). He sends me back
> the same kind of files (ASCII source and/or EPS or PDF) by mail.
> 3) Occasionally, I print the typeset from TeXshop (who is, of
> course, not responsible for badly written printer drivers).
>
> I have understood (perhaps mistakingly) that step 3 could fail in
> Leopard. I do not use fonts other than very, very standard fonts (CM
> and/or Times essentially). I do only two things with Preview:
> preview and print.
>
> So, do you have some indication that this will work in 10.5.3?
>
> thanks for your patience
>
> Francois
>
> P.S. I use LaTeXit when I need small chunks of PDF'd LaTeX
>
> Francois Chaplais
> http://cas.ensmp.fr/~chaplais/en/

Howdy,

The printing problems I had with certain fonts in 10.5.0--10.5.2 seem
to be fixed in 10.5.3. I don't think that should give you a problem.

By the way, I never had any problems with files created with CM or
Lucida Bright (commercial) but with other fonts, especially the expert
fonts.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)