[OS X TeX] File size depends on the distiller?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu May 29 13:49:00 CEST 2008

Am 29.05.2008 um 01:34 schrieb Jung-Tsung Shen:

> I tried to figure out where it went wrong by randomly tweaking here
> and there, but none of them worked. Finally when I changed the
> distiller from "Apple Distiller" to "Ghostscript" (in TeXShop
> preferences panel), the output file had a normal size of about 0.3 MB.

The "Apple Distiller" produces files with a resource fork. Finder
does not show this fork, except you open the inspector (⌘-I).

One difference in the ways the "Apple Distiller" and Ghostscript work
is the way they handle fonts. The "Apple Distiller" includes the
fonts, Ghostscript only mentions in the file's header which fonts
will be used. If the system which will be printing or displaying the
document does not have them or is not set up to find them both will
fail. Anyway, the information you gave does not allow to explain what
you saw.

A very fine solution is to use pdfTeX, set it up to not download the
standard PostScript fonts, and maybe also make it compress (almost ?)
everything at maximum level, i.e.  with \pdfcompresslevel9 in your
source or with compress_level 9 in pdftex.cfg. Non-standard fonts are
only partially embedded, i.e. the less glyphs from this font you use,
the less of this font is included into the PDF output file. If you
want to live with latex you can compress the EPS file(s) and instruct
dvips to work harder with -a, embed only used glyphs from PostScript
fonts with -j, remove comments from PostScript file with -K, and use -
Z to make it compress PK font files – even more?

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.