[OS X TeX] Forcing the use of pdtlatex or dvips

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 26 02:51:33 CEST 2008

On May 25, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:

> If nobody believes you, I must be nobody. I have never been able to
> get
> this to work. I was about to try with two percent signs when I read
> this. Being curious, I opened a xelatex document with the following
> second line (the first - allegedly - sets the encoding):
> %!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
> -> result: pdflatex runs and complains, predictably that it can't
> manage, that xelatex is needed etc. etc.
> I change the second line:
> %%!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
> -> result: xelatex runs, compiles document
> I change the second line:
> %!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
> -> result: xelatex runs, compiles document
> I change the second line:
> %!TEX TS-program = PDFLaTeX
> -> result: pdflatex fails
> I change the second line:
> %!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
> -> result: xelatex compiles document
>
> I don't believe you mistyped anything. In any case, I _know_ I did
> not.
> The changes shown are the _only_ changes I made to the file.
>
> Yours,
> cfr

Howdy,

I believe case makes a difference! Try what was written:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex

(all lower case). Also two `%'s work fine

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatex.

And then

%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex

works fine. If

%!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX

works it's because there is a XeLaTeX.engine file that you must have
created.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)