[OS X TeX] Float Placement

Richard J Benish rjbenish at teleport.com
Sat May 17 04:58:09 CEST 2008

I have a float (a pdf figure) that takes up about two thirds of the
height of a two column page. When I place it in the desired column,
however, text above and below the float disappears, leaving a lot of
unwanted blank space.

In the "LaTeX Companion" I see that commands such as \intextsep may
correct the problem, but I don't find any specific examples, so it's
not clear exactly what to enter and where. The commands that result
in the behavior described above are as follows:

Any suggestions as to exactly how to use the \intextsep command or
others to fix this problem?

Muchas Gracias.

Richard Benish