[OS X TeX] (Re-)installing Adobe Garamond Pro

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu May 15 23:10:25 CEST 2008

On 15 mai 08, at 21:54, Stephen R Anderson wrote:

> Long ago I jumped through all of the hoops necessary to install
> Adobe Garamond Pro from the Adobe "Learning Tools" CD for LaTeX.
> This was of course back in the days when I was using Gerben's
> distribution.  I have a large number of files that use these fonts,
> and their loss would be a major problem.
>
> On two laptops where I have installed the TeXLive distribution,
> however, I can't figure out how to get the fonts to work again.  I
> thought I had transferred all of the relevant stuff from the machine
> where they work, but evidently I didn't.

Normally you just need to move the old files from gwTeX to the
appropriate places for TeXLive:

- afm files (if any) inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/afm/
adobe/garamond

- map file(s) inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/
garamond

- tfm files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/adobe/
garamond

- pfb or pfa files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/
adobe/garamond

- vf files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/vf/adobe/garamond

- fd and sty files inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/
garamond

Then, assuming the map file has name garamond.map, run in Terminal:

	sudo mktexlsr
	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map garamond.map

You may also, if you prefer, use a user-specific installation instead
of the system-wide installation above. In that case:

- Replace /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local by ~/Library/texmf

- Omit "sudo mktexlsr"

- Replace "sudo -H updmap-sys [...]" by "updmap --enable Map
garamond.map".

Bruno Voisin