[OS X TeX] Mysterious behavior of Preview.app

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu May 15 10:54:01 CEST 2008

On  15 May, 2008, at 01:55, Jin-Hwan Cho wrote:

> On May 15, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:
>
>> On May 14, 2008, at 21:09, Jin-Hwan Cho wrote:
>>
>>> The following PDF file shows some mysterious behavior of
>>> Preview.app.
>>>
>>> http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/sample/misc/pplr8r.pdf
>>>
>>> Check the characters in the first line. If it was opened with
>>> Preview.app,
>>> you may see some european characters with accents. But with
>>> Adobe Reader, you may see completely different result and that is
>>> the
>>> the right one.
>>
>> And not only the first line is wrong, but many others [...]
>
> Then, it says that the PDF renderer in Mac OS X does not show the
> PDF file above correctly. That is what I expected.
>
>> It renders the same in Adobe Reader 8 and Acrobat Professional 6
>> (Mac OS 10.4.11), and, under Ubuntu 7.10, Evince Document Viewer 2
>> and Xpdf 3.
>
> Do you mean that you get the wrong result even in Adobe Reader 8?
> Please check again.

Sorry ---what I meant to say was that in Reader 8, Acrobat 6 (Mac),
Evince DV 2 and Xpdf 3 (Ubuntu) I get the same, *correct*, display
output.

As Bruno Voisin has done a very meticulous testing according to your
instructions, I will do it but just for the fun of it. I wont report
anything.

Best,

Axel