[OS X TeX] getting pdflatex to use Adobe fonts instead of Nimbus.

George Nurser gnurser at googlemail.com
Tue May 13 13:44:45 CEST 2008

I'm sure this is a FAQ, but results from Googling have left me confused.
I'm running TexLive 2007, and wish to get pdflatex (& possibly
dvi2ps?) to use Adobe fonts instead of the Nimbus fonts, for use with
Illustrator etc.
There is a file  updmap.cfg  in /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c

If I edit this file (I seem to have direct write permission on it, no
need for sudo) to comment out the line
LW35 URWkb

and replace by
LW35 ADOBEkb

it makes no difference.

I suspect I should edit /usr/texbin/updmap
to replace the line
  test -z "$mode" && mode=ADOBEkb

and then do updmap or sudo updmap, but am a little reluctant to do
this unless I'm sure I'm doing the right thing.

Any advice appreciated. George Nurser.