[OS X TeX] Fine point of mathematical typing?

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Tue May 13 11:58:52 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Roberto Avanzi
<roberto.avanzi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13.05.2008, at 01:31, Morten Høgholm wrote:
>

> > Insert
> >  \lastlinefit=1000
> > in your preamble. This is usually a good thing anyway although far to
> seldomly mentioned.
> >

> Ahha. I did not know that. That's very nice.

On second thought you might want to just have it active for the
paragraph in question. You see, \lastlinefit has an interesting side
effect and by interesting I of course mean annoying.

The problem of \lastlinefit is that if the last line contains any glue
(spaces) and a paragraph is interrupted by display math, then
\predisplaysize is set to 16383.99998pt making TeX choose to insert
\abovedisplayskip even in situations where \abovedisplayshortskip is
warrented. In effect, it means all single line equations will behave
as if they were single line gather environments.

This setting of \predisplaysize makes it impossible, even for breqn,
to choose the correct skips to use.

--
Morten