[OS X TeX] Newbie Question: Where do I put . . .

Hamner, Jesse Harrison jhamner at emory.edu
Thu May 8 20:34:42 CEST 2008

Hi Randy,

Welcome to LaTeX; it's a rewarding journey.

First up -- you may already have those packages you want to use installed.
MacTeX has a very long list of included packages, though one or two I use
are not included.

Best resource for a newbie is the Not-so-short introduction to LaTeX,
commonly called "lshort". It's available on the TUG website:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/src/Documentation/Starting%20Off/Introduction%20to
%20LaTeX/lshort/

At first, I find it's good to let users trust the built-in formatting and
then begin to slowly make changes, one at a time. Get comfortable first, and
then start hacking \emph{one thing at a time}.

Best of luck.

Jesse

--
Jesse Hamner
Coordinator, Social Sciences Computing Center
jhamner at emory.edu

information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
prohibited.