[OS X TeX] Newbie Question: Where do I put . . .

Randy Scott scott_randy at sccollege.edu
Thu May 8 19:54:16 CEST 2008

Good morning,

I'm just beginning to explore the TeX world and I hope someone on this list
can give a quick answer to some basic questions.

I installed the MacTex-2007 distribution from the TUG on both my G5 Mac at
work and Intel iMac at home. I've been working through a bunch of tutorials
I found on the web and have a good idea of how to format mathematics as I
wish, but only a little bit of knowledge of text, and in particular
document, formatting.

I do understand (barely) about the built in documentclass (though I wish I
had a clear exposition of what each style produces . . . can anyone
recommend a resource?)

I have found a couple of packages that I'd like to use, and this leads to my
question:  Where do I put the files that I've downloaded so that texmaker or
TeXShop will find them?

Thanks for your help!

Randy Scott
Santiago Canyon College