[OS X TeX] installing package exceltex on Mac OS X

Gert van Oss gertmt at mac.com
Wed May 7 21:43:09 CEST 2008

Not being a regular reader of the list I tried to find something about
installing packages on Mac OS X (Leopard). Untill now didn't feel
confident with what I found. Maybe someone on this list can help me in
the right direction?

I would like to install the package "exceltex" (http://www.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~doerr/exceltex/#probs
) on my Mac. I've leopard and a Latex installation straight from http://www.tug.org/mactex/
](http://www.tug.org/mactex/ but I've no clue how exactly to do the
installation even after reading the little note that comes with the
package.
----
For installation just copy the exceltex helper script somewhere in your
PATH for example $HOME/bin or /usr/local/bin, and make sure it is
executable.

The readimg.sty file should be copied somewhere LaTeX can find it,
usually
$HOME/texmf/tex/latex/misc or /usr/local/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc. Dont
forget to run 'texconfig rehash' afterwards.

Thats it.
-----

I'm comfortable with Perl (SpreadSheet::ParseExcel) but just don't
know anything about installing Latex. Just to scared to ruin my Latex.
Any assistance that explains me what $HOME is or where I should
install these two files would be great.

Gert