[OS X TeX] Inserting text based on length of its input?

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Wed May 7 02:51:49 CEST 2008

Sorry, couldn't come up with a better title. It's also not mac
specific. The situation is the following: I want to create links in
my text to the pages in a website that have corresponding figures. So
for instance I want a command that on \fig{2}[3} will produce the
text "Figure 2.3", and have it be a hyperlink to the following address:

http://lmdvr.r-forge.r-project.org/figures/figures.html?
chapter=02;figure=02_03;theme=stdColor;code=right

So I was planning to use \href for the linking, but the problem is:
how to add that extra 0, when the chapter number or section number
are single digits. I am guessing some kind of \newif could do the
trick, but my if-knowledge is, shall we say, very iffy. Any help much
appreciated. I guess to generalize the question: How do we create
conditionals that actually check something in the text, rather than
them relaying on us directly setting them true or false as flags.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College