[OS X TeX] Can't see ligatures with lucida fonts in pdf files

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 18:01:28 CET 2008

Hi, I need help from the font gurus.
I'm working on my home iMac, using the lucida fonts, which I don't do very
often. The ligatures are missing from the pdf output, and (it seems) ONLY
from the pdf files. This is true for files that I TeX here or for files that
I TeXed yesterday on my work machine. If I open up a pdf on my iMac (in
Preview or TeXShop), I don't see the ligatures. If I copy the exact same
files to my laptop, I do see the ligatures in Preview and TeXShop. This is
independent of where I created the pdf files---even if the file was TeXed on
the iMac, the ligatures don't appear on the iMac but do on the laptop.

I wouldn't have thought this was possible. Can someone explain what's
happening and how to fix it or what I should look for? Both machines are
running 10.5.2 and MacTeX.

Chris