[OS X TeX] Re: Leopard MacTeX PATH problems, still

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sun Mar 23 21:58:24 CET 2008

Hi again,

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>>
>> A special worry is my PATH:
>>
>> 17:38:20~$ echo $PATH
>> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/bin
>>
>> The appended "/usr/texbin:/usr/local/bin" seems unusual to me. I would
>> appreciate some help for how to fix this.
>
> Howdy,
>
> Although a bit unusual it does no harm. If a certain command doesn't exist
> along the path it will take a tiny bit more time before you'll find out. :-)

Just to say what I've done, since I couldn't stand that PATH with
that peculiar tale. Because I do not have the ...system_default copies, I
couldn't use the easy solution:

sudo cp /etc/csh.login.system_default /etc/csh.login
sudo cp /etc/profile.system_default /etc/profile

But David Airey had included, after his drum-roll, a copy of an email
where Dick provided versions of /etc/csh.login and /etc/profile from his
machine, as they shipped on Leopard, completely unmodified.

It took me a little bit efforts to change the contents of my
/etc/csh.login and /etc/profile because of the permission limitations.

The permissions of /etc/profile are "-r--r--r--", for which
"sudo emacs /etc/profile" wouldn't do. I created a copy of my
orriginal /etc/profile on my Desktop; changed its permissions to
"-rw-r--r--"; deleted the extra lines to get to Dick's version; saved it;
switched it's permissions back to "-r--r--r--". And then copied it in the
directory /etc with sudo:

sudo cp -p ~/Desktop/profile /etc/.

It was far easier with /etc/csh.login. I just deleted the extra code from
it by editing it with emacs:

/etc$ sudo emacs csh.login

Now, my path is:

$ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin

- the content of /etc/profile

# System-wide .profile for sh(1)

if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
         eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
fi

if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
         [ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc