[OS X TeX] Leopard MacTeX PATH problems, still

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sun Mar 23 00:58:58 CET 2008

Hi,

Herb makes a useful point here (as usual :). There is more than one possible
shell that can be used in any given Unix environment, and on the same machine
it is possible to have more than one shell running concurrently. So it is not
feasible to script path changes as one might in, say, DOS. Added to that, one
may not want to install into the default directory and a script is not likely
to be smart enough to know the difference.

By the way, I was not aware that the MacTeX installation script made changes
to paths. Is this the case with TeXLive? I for one would rather they did not
since any script cannot know what else I have put in there. It would be a big
pain for ad hoc changes made by someone I don't know to affect intentional
additions I have made.

Typically, it is up to the user to make the necessary changes to their
environment so that it operates in the manner they expect, unless of course
they are in a work group that is administered for them, in which case their
path may have been inherited.

Editing the path is relatively straightforward but one does need to know what
shell they are using and what file they intend to store their parameters in,
such as those Herb mentioned.

Cheers
Alan