[OS X TeX] [OT] Embedding fonts in images

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 05:39:29 CET 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 5:57 AM, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:16:12PM -0400, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>> Hope someone on this list can help me with what should be a pretty
>> common
>> problem, though not directly related to LaTeX. I have some images
>> in pdf
>> format, generated from R but perhaps that's not directly relevant. My
>> publisher has asked me to embed all fonts, including things like
>> Helvetica,
>> Symbol, Zapf Dingbats etc, and I have so far been unable to do so.
>> I tried
>> ghostscript, with a call that looks like this:
>>
>> gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=cha03fig03E.pdf
>> -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true
>> -sFONTPATH=  cha03fig03.pdf
>
> Try adding -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress

Brilliant, that did it!

And from within R, this could be done with something like:

embedFonts("~/Desktop/test1.pdf",outfile="~/Desktop/test3.pdf",
options ="-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress")

Thanks to the others for their suggestions as well,

Glad to now have a simple programmatic way of handling this.

> --
> Siep Kroonenberg

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College