[OS X TeX] [OT] Embedding fonts in images

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 02:16:12 CET 2008

Hope someone on this list can help me with what should be a pretty
common problem, though not directly related to LaTeX. I have some
images in pdf format, generated from R but perhaps that's not
directly relevant. My publisher has asked me to embed all fonts,
including things like Helvetica, Symbol, Zapf Dingbats etc, and I
have so far been unable to do so. I tried ghostscript, with a call
that looks like this:

gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=cha03fig03E.pdf -
dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -
sFONTPATH=  cha03fig03.pdf

but that didn't seem to do it, Adobe Reader still reports Helvetica
(or Times New Roman depending on which one I select to set in R) as
not being embedded.

Any thoughts how to really force all fonts to be embedded? Google
searching produced too many hits, which I did not find particularly
enlightening.

Hoping this is something bleeding obvious to someone.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College

PS: Why on earth do publishers need fonts like Helvetica, Times etc
embedded? Surely this is something they can easily do themselves, no?