[OS X TeX] More questions on MacTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Mar 9 23:06:00 CET 2008

Le 9 mars 08 à 21:18, Christoph Hoh a écrit :

> 	Is there a way to see the real directory structure either in the
> Finder or somewhere else?

It used to be that you could coerce the Finder into displaying this
normally hidden directory structure by typing, in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true

then closing the current session (Cmd-Shift-Q) and starting a new one.
I haven't tried for some time (since Panther or earlier), but I assume
that should still work. Use the same command, with false instead of
true, to revert back to normal.

But really, that's not a good idea. It might change the Finder's
behavior in unexpected ways, change some applications' behavior in
unexpected ways (for example the Open, Save etc. dialog will probably
be affected), and after some time you'll certainly get tired of seeing
all these normally invisible files (like the files .DS_Store in most
directories).

I find seeing these normally invisible files more annoying than
helpful. Most of the time you don't have to care about these files.
And for the TeX directory structures:

- The aliases in /Library/TeX/ provide a straightforward enough way of
accessing them.

- There's also, as others mentioned, Cmd-Shift-G.

- Personally I just added the directories

	/usr/local/texlive
	/usr/local/gwTeX
	~/Library/texmf

in the sidebar of Finder's windows, so that they can be accessed
easily whenever need be (essentially for testing purposes, in normal
use you shouldn't need to care too much about them).

Bruno Voisin