[OS X TeX] More questions on MacTeX

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Sun Mar 9 21:45:53 CET 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Christoph Hoh wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> first of all thanks a lot for answering my questions regarding the
> MacTeX installation additions and extras. It is very clear to me now.
>
> Since I do not have a lot of experience in using (La)TeX on a Mac so
> far, I have some more rather fundamental questions on MacTeX:
>
> - In the MacTeX readme file it is mentioned that the real directory
> structure of the MacTeX installation (e.g. usr/local or /usr/local/
> texlive/2007) is not visible in the Finder. Instead only Alias of
> these directories are accessible under Library/TeX/Root.

The reason why Apple chose to "hide" the /usr directory tree is
probably related to the misguided assumptions that some people have
that they can just "remove files" whenever their computer is
performing poorly, and then everything will speed up again.

There are many directories that are hidden just so people will not
inadvertently muck up their systems by randomly deleting things.

> 	Why is it so?
> 	Is there a way to see the real directory structure either in the
> Finder or somewhere else?

Yes, you can easily open a Terminal (located in /Applications/
Utilities) and type "open /usr/" then you will be able to see the
directory structure from the Finder.

> - Is it correct that "personal" files (e.g. bst-files) should be
> saved under ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex so that MacTeX can access
> these files when needed?
> - 	Are all files in this folder (and subfolders) saved under /usr/
> local/texlive/texmf-local/ and are they accessible by any Tex
> distribution?

I will let someone else take this on.