[OS X TeX] Configuring Texmaker

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 14:37:34 CET 2008

> Hi,
> I am a switching over from Windows to
> Mac OS I am yet unable to configure the Texmaker program.
> I have checked the online documentation but found it too brief and
> ill-suited to my purpose.
> Any help in this regard will be well appreciated.
> Thanks
> Soumya

First: you have to have a working TeX installation.
The easiest way to do it is to install MacTeX. You can get it here: http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/mac/mactex/MacTeX.dmg
Use the installer included in the downloaded file and that's it.
(Note: it is a lengthy download)

Second: You have to tell TeXMaker where your TeX programs are. Open
the "Preferences..." menu under TexMaker. You get what should be a
familiar dialog box with entries for "LaTeX", "dvips", etc.
If you installed MacTex as above, you can set latex, pdflatex, bibtex,
makeindex, ps2pdf to the correct path by replacing whatever comes
before the program name (on my intel mac it was /usr/local/teTeX/bin/
i386-apple-darwin-current)
by /usr/texbin.

For example, the pdflatex entry should read:  "/usr/texbin/pdflatex" -
interaction=nonstopmode %.tex

You can leave the gs, dvips, Dvi Viewer, Ps Viewer and Pdf Viewer as
they are.

You should be ready to go.

Happy LaTeXing in Mac OS X :-)

Luis Sequeira