[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX in Acrobat

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Mar 5 13:19:15 CET 2008

On Mar 4, 2008, at 9:37 AM, François Chaplais wrote:

> I have output PS to pass them to my son who has distiller CS3, and
> the result is the same in Acrobat Pro for the Mac.
> The issue is that the baseline and other metrics are not handled
> properly by Acrobat at small sizes.
> Aren't here hints in truetype fonts? Or is is it just that Adobe
> despises TT? Do I have to stick to Postscript fonts?

Depend on the settings you used, going to PostScript may be stripping
out the hints.

Also, the appearance of subtle features can be influenced by your anti-
aliasing features.

If the book is being printed commercially, then the lack of the hints
won't matter (if the text needs the hinting it's too small to be
reproduced). If you want to distribute the .pdf, then skip the .ps
creation and redistillation for the distributed version.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer