[OS X TeX] a suggestion

ludwik kowalski kowalskil at mail.montclair.edu
Mon Mar 3 02:55:09 CET 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 8:39 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2008, at 7:24 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:
>

>> 6) Herbert asked: "Are you sure you compiled again after you ran
>> makeindex?" I suppose that presence of the learnindex.idx file
>> means "yes."
>>

> Howdy,
>
> When pdflatex compiles the file the .idx file will be produced. That
> file acts as the INPUT to makeindex which then produces an .ind
> file. The .ind file is then read into the document on subsequent
> runs of pdflatex. It may take more than one more run of pdflatex so
> that the cross-referencing (e.g., the exact page number for the
> index reference) is resolved correctly.

1) I pressed the "typeset" button at least ten times and still see no
index list in my pdf file. How many time did you compile the input
file to get the index?

2) I assume that "when the pdflatex compiles" means "when the typeset
button is pressed (in the toolbar of the input file)." Is this correct?

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt.2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/