[OS X TeX] a suggestion

ludwik kowalski kowalskil at mail.montclair.edu
Mon Mar 3 02:24:39 CET 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 4:23 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:

>  . . . Below is my corrected file. Then I describe what happened.
>
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>
> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
> \usepackage{makeidx}
> \makeindex
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \section{Introduction}
>
> Most Americans know that \index{Alaska} was purchased from
> \index{Russia} in 1867 before the discovery of its rich gold
> deposits. While the Russian Church had a generally positive
> influence on Native Alaskans, the beginning of the Russian period
> was marked by the frequent enslavement of the local population by
> adventurous fur traders.''  Male Eskimos (Aleuts), for example, were
> taken from their families and deported to the \index{Pribilof
> Islands}; they were forced to hunt sea otters and seals for their
> kidnappers. Most of them never returned to their starving wives and
> children. The population of Aleuts was halved between the middle and
> the end of the eighteenth century.
> \printindex
> \end{document}
>
> % As suggested by Alan Muun <amunn at msu.edu>
> % Compile the above file once.
> % Run the makeindex on that document (CMND/SHIFT/L will do this from
> TexShop).
> % And finally compile the input file again.
>
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>
> The first compilation produced the pdf file.
> The CMND/SHIFT/L did do something rapidly.
> But no index was added to my pdf file after the second or third
> compilation. What else am I missing?

1) Let me add that the source file was was learnindex.tex and that the
file named learnindex.idx was created. Does it mean that the CMND/
SHIFT/L step was properly executed?

2) Here is the content of the learnindex.idx file that was created.

\indexentry{Alaska}{1}
\indexentry{Russia}{1}
\indexentry{Pribilof Islands}{1}

3) But the index list still did not appear at the end of my output
file. Does it mean that the \printinex command is not working?

4) Do I need another \usepackage command in the preamble? If so then
what package should I add?

5) Perhaps this has something to do with my computer. Not knowing what
is what and why, I prudently installed everything in the distribution,
as suggested.

6) Herbert asked: "Are you sure you compiled again after you ran
makeindex?" I suppose that presence of the learnindex.idx file means
"yes."

7) TeXShop tends to stick with the last processing so simply doing a
compile (Cmd-T) will NOT recompile using pdflatex. Try forcing the
pdflatex compile by using Shift-Cmd-L to tell TeXShop exactly what to
do. Yes, I did press shif-Cmd-L. Should this key combination be kept
down for more that a second or two (I am thinking for much longer
input files) ?

8) Herbert suggested: " I think setting up the latexmk for TeXShop
will make you happier in the long run. Is "latexmk" another package? I
do not know how to set it up.

9) Then he added:  PS: It compiles fine here. Was it with latexmk?  So
perhaps his machine has something that my machine is missing. Who else
was able to compile my input file (see the content quoted above)?

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt.2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/