[OS X TeX] a suggestion

ludwik kowalski kowalskil at mail.montclair.edu
Sun Mar 2 22:23:09 CET 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
>

>>> Unfortunately, I was not able to implement what I learned on page
>>> 35. What follows is my short input file; it was based on my
>>> understanding of Oetiker. But the file did not compile. The error
>>> message was that the sty file cannot be found. Please tell me to
>>> accomplish this task. What is missing in my input file?\
>>
>> Two problems.  You spelled the package name wrong (which is what
>> the error is trying to tell you). It should be
>> \usepackage{makeindx} (no 'e' in index)
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Actually you should leave out the `n' too: \usepackage{makeidx}.
>
>> Second, you'll never see your index if you don't also include a
>> \printindex command at the end of your document.
>>
>> Third (and this isn't obvious from your post, but it may not have
>> been clear either), you need to do the following: (1) latex your
>> document (2) run makeindex on your document (in TeXShop this is
>> command-shift-I) and (3) run latex on your document again.
>>

> Another tack is to use the pdflatexmk engine which will do the
> multiple passes through pdflatex, makeindex (and/or bibtex --- if
> you have a biliography), etc.
>
> You'll have to move the engine files from ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/
> Inactive/Latexmk/ into ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ (see the
> documentation in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/ [and the
> Latexmk folder there for how to use the engine files]). You can get
> the latest version of latexmk for TeXShop, with installation
> instructions, as Latexmk321jTeXShop.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2
> >.
>

>>> Yes, it is silly to have an index for tiny document. But it is
>>> only an attempt to implement what I learned.
>>
>> No, this is absolutely not silly.  It is the best way to learn how
>> things work.  If only more people with problems would post such
>> small examples!

Thanks. Below is my corrected file. Then I describe what happened.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\makeindex

\begin{document}

\section{Introduction}

Most Americans know that \index{Alaska} was purchased from
\index{Russia} in 1867 before the discovery of its rich gold deposits.
While the Russian Church had a generally positive influence on Native
Alaskans, the beginning of the Russian period was marked by the
frequent enslavement of the local population by adventurous fur
traders.''  Male Eskimos (Aleuts), for example, were taken from their
families and deported to the \index{Pribilof Islands}; they were
forced to hunt sea otters and seals for their kidnappers. Most of them
never returned to their starving wives and children. The population of
Aleuts was halved between the middle and the end of the eighteenth
century.
\printindex
\end{document}

% As suggested by Alan Muun <amunn at msu.edu>
% Compile the above file once.
% Run the makeindex on that document (CMND/SHIFT/L will do this from
TexShop).
% And finally compile the input file again.

The first compilation produced the pdf file.
The CMND/SHIFT/L did do something rapidly.
But no index was added to my pdf file after the second or third
compilation. What else am I missing?

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt.2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/