[OS X TeX] page setting + a general comment

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 2 05:27:06 CET 2008

At 10:09 PM -0500 3/1/08, ludwik kowalski had asked:

<< << 2) P.S. I am discovering that learning LaTex is not a pleasant
experience. Learning Geometry, or Calculus, for example, is very
different in that respect. Why is it so? >> >>

And at 10:38 PM -0500 3/1/08, Alan Munn wrote:

>Perhaps you need to work from a real book ... [e.g.] Kopka and
>Daley's  "Guide to LaTeX" 4th Edition ... [and]  "The LaTeX
>Companion 2nd Edition ... >>

I agree that those are excellent books, very thorough but accessible
even to a patient beginner. Besides the helpful lshort .pdf suggested
by Professor Skiadas, another good introductory electronic resource
is:

http://theoval.sys.uea.ac.uk/~nlct/latex/novices/novices.html

I hope this proves helpful and that you'll settle for practical
answers to an implied question rather than pedagogical or
philosophical answers to your actual one.

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***