[OS X TeX] svnX and Leopard [OT]

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 20:20:17 CEST 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> On Jun 17, 2008, at 4:30 AM, Rolf Schmolling wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 1) if the svn-book is too much check out this: http://
>>> betterexplained.com/articles/a-visual-guide-to-version-control/
>> Just what I needed!
>
> Don't get excited too soon :-) Concerning server setup, what most
> of these tutorials explain in great detail is the trivial part
> which consists of creating the repository.

As far as I am concerned, creating the repository is already a hell
of a lot, nay, a sine qua non.

> This is basically a one-line command "svnadmin create /path/to/
> repository".

I will take your word for it. ;-))

> The hard part - which you have to go through unless you are
> collaborating only with yourself

You nailed it: not only am I collaborating with myself, and rather
badly at that, I am almost certainly my sole reader.

> - is to set up secure access to your server for the other
> collaborators.

That I can see.

> This is where you either need help from a real sysadmin or you have
> to become one yourself.

No chance of that ever.

> And this part appears to be much less fun to explain, too...

> It is also the part in which the problems of the original poster
> arose. (Still not explained, as far as I can see.)

Well then, at least for the foreseeable future, I will stick to
collaborating with myself and keep the repository on my own drive.

Grateful regards
--schremmer