[OS X TeX] latexit issues

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jun 16 11:32:21 CEST 2008

Le 16 juin 08 à 10:17, dfen2752 at mail.usyd.edu.au a écrit :

> Okay. I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour, but when I type in
> groups,
> I get the following:
>
> "staff _lpadmin _appserveradm _appserverusr admin
> com.apple.sharepoint.group.1"
>
> So there's no group called "derek". And when i run the users command,
> there's only "derek".

You can get a list of all users of a given Mac, complete with numeric
equivalents, by typing in:

	dscl . -list /Users UniqueID

And similarly for the groups:

	dscl . -list /Groups PrimaryGroupID

Now if I type "groups" I get:

	bvoisin _lpadmin admin

But if I use "id" instead I get:

	uid=501(bvoisin) gid=501(bvoisin) groups=501(bvoisin),98(_lpadmin),
80(admin)

where the gid seems to refer to an "effective" group id and the groups
to "real" and "supplementary" group ids (according to the man page of
id). I've no idea what this means.

If I go back to my home directory and type "ls -l", all OS X-created
directories (Documents, Pictures and the like) have group "wheel"
while directories I created myself have group name identical to my
user name.

That said:

- The output you get with "groups" seems to indicate you run OS X
Server, or you're working in a distant directory through a network, or
you're running a distant application through a network.

> In terms of the environment plist, I don't have one. Should I have
> that
> file? And I'm sort of lost on how to format the environment.plist. I
> found
> this example on the web
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
> "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
> 	<key>DISPLAY</key>
> 	<string>:0.0</string>
> 	<key>PYTHONPATH</key>
> 	<string>/full/path/ofyour/favorite/script/dir:/full/path/of/another/
> script/dir:</string>
> </dict>
> </plist>
> </plist>

- Before focusing on that group stuff, are you really sure you've got
no ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist? It won't appear in the Finder, you've
got to use Terminal and for example cd to your home directory then
type "ls -al" or "more ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist". If you've got a
file environment.plist which you've not created willingly, this is
generally bad news, as this means some software has installed this
file which affects the working of all other GUI applications.

Bruno Voisin