[OS X TeX] latexit issues

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 19:46:19 CEST 2008

Thanks for the clarification. It's perhaps purely academic at this
point, but this now does beg the question, why TMPDIR is set on the
OP's computer, and whether unsetting it might somehow miraculously
fix things? In particular, who owns that directory? It doesn't sound
to me like var is a directory that was meant to be easily user-writable.

On Jun 15, 2008, at 1:34 PM, David Watson wrote:

> According to the mktemp manual page, if there is an existing
> environmental variable TMPDIR then this will be used along with any
> specified prefix to generate a template string when the utility is
> called.
> If the user does not have a TMPDIR environmental variable, then "/
> tmp" is used along with the specified prefix.
>
> On Jun 15, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> But why is it generating this directory under /var instead of
>> under /tmp, which seems to me would be the proper place?
>>
>> On Jun 15, 2008, at 11:21 AM, David Watson wrote:
>>
>>> That is normal behavior; the script is generating a temporary
>>> directory in order to do its work.

>> Haris Skiadas
>> Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
>> Hanover College

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College