[OS X TeX] Re: OT: OS X 10.5.3

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Jun 2 16:58:49 CEST 2008

On 02.06.2008, at 16:53, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

>>> Moot, at least, for this particular bug. I would like some pdf
>>> viewer that isn't dependent on Apple's pdf system,
>>
>> Why exactly? The bug Apple introduced with Leopard was bad, no
>> doubt adoubt that, but besides that, what's wrong with Apple's pdf
>> system? They don't implement every single feature of PDF, but
>> that's mainly because not every single feature is open. There are
>> some parts of PDF no one can implement except Adobe.
>>

> I suppose I am as usual just being a bit over-cautious. But it seems
> that often I do get PDFs that look odd in some way, and it would be
> nice to eliminate Apple's particular interpretation of PDF as a
> source of this.

I might be wrong,  but I believe that the creator is responsible is
here is much more likely in most cases (personally, I rarely have any
problems with Preview besides the bug which now has been fixed ...)

> I don't have Reader installed because it seems a bit intrusive at
> times, and I find it highly counterintuitive to use.

Yeah, but if you want to be really sure that a PDF is displayed
correctly, there simply is no way around Acrobat/Adobe Reader.
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„Was soll aus mir mal werden, wenn ich mal nicht mehr bin?“ Robert
Gernhardt