[OS X TeX] Squeezing text into boxes

Randy Scott scott_randy at sccollege.edu
Thu Jul 17 16:49:22 CEST 2008

Good Morning!

I'm trying to create text in a box to simulate the buttons on a graphing
calculator. I've read the sections in "Guide to LaTeX" and "More Math into
LaTeX" about using \fbox and have been experimenting with that command. I've
figured out how to get the text centered in a box of a specific width (not
hard) but have been stumped on getting

1. A framed box of text of a specific width AND height (so it matches the
graphing calculator button)

and

2. The text squeezed into the specific sized box (don't want to flow out the
ends.)

I suspect the resolution to #1 is just something I've missed in all the
documentation, but #2 seems tougher. I know I could individually adjust each
bit of text for each button, but it would sure be nice to not have to do
that.

Any ideas, suggestions or comments about how I might be able to do these
tasks?

Thanks,

Randy Scott
Santiago Canyon College