texwork (was Re: [OS X TeX] synctex)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jul 16 01:34:12 CEST 2008

Le 15 juil. 08 à 22:31, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> On Jul 15, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>>> - After unpacking the TeXworks application (even before opening it
>>> or moving it to /Applications), a number of text-only documents on
>>> the disk (such as .cfg files, .tex files, etc.) get suddenly the
>>> TeXworks document icon.
>>
>> Really? Wow.... world domination at a stroke. :) (Sorry, I'm in a
>> silly mood!) I think this is related to app packaging and the
>> Info.plist file, which has not really been addressed yet; need to
>> look into this. (Speaking of packaging, eventually I expect we'll
>> try to static-link more of the libs, to avoid possible conflicts
>> in /usr/local/lib or wherever....)
>
> Strange, this didn't happen on my system.

A possible hint: IIRC, these files now claimed by TeXworks used to be
claimed by Textures 2.2.0 on my setup. It's possible that at some
point in the past I had first instructed the Finder to associate
the .tex file extension to TeXShop, and then later to Textures, and
similar for related extensions.

Looking more closely, Textures has knowledge of file extensions tex,
TeX, latex, ltx, texi, ctx, log, aux, cls, sty, fd, cfg, toc, pl, tfm,
dvi, eps, epsf, and file types TEXT, *DVI, DVI2, *FMT, *TFM, EPS, EPSF.

I tried to find a logical pattern in this but couldn't. All .cfg files
are claimed by TeXworks, some .aux files are claimed by TeXworks and
others by Textures, some .sty files are claimed by TeXworks and others
by TeXShop, and so forth.

My impression is that the files claimed by TeXworks (instead of
TeXShop or Textures) are those without any recognizable creator/type
nor extended attribute com.apple.FinderInfo.

Bruno