[OS X TeX] iPhone, anyone?

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Wed Jul 9 20:52:45 CEST 2008

Le 9 juil. 08 à 18:06, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 9 juil. 08 à 16:36, Adam M. Goldstein a écrit :
>
>> I don't understand the problem . . . can't you rotate to landscape
>> and then zoom in, giving you a reasonably wide view? I have a palm
>> pilot and I do that, and it comes out ok, with the usual LaTeX
>> size. There's more scrolling around, but that's pretty easy, and
>> probably is better with an iPhone.
>
> Yes you can rotate the iPhone and the view will switch to
> landscape, for both DOC and PDF files (or email attachments).
>
> <iPhone-CM.jpg><iPhone-Times.jpg>
>
> (I tried uploading these to .Mac in order to save bandwidth,
> but .Mac seems totally unresponsive right now, at least from
> France. Sorry for the bad focus, that's about as much as Photo
> Booth can offer.)
>
> So, as usual, that's down to CM being too light for screen viewing
> at nowadays resolutions.

Yes, I agree that CM is too thin for this kind of display.

>> Is there a PDF viewer as a separate application, or do you work
>> through the web browser?
>
> Safari can view PDF files and rotate view and enlarge them, and
> Mail does this too. I suspect that's because both use the same
> PDFKit frameworks.
>
> All this, of course, for 1st gen Edge iPhone. Hopefully next week
> (French release on 17 July) we'll be pleasantly surprised with the
> 2nd gen 3G iPhone.

yes, and I am eagerly waiting for the 2.0 firmware, as it will
support iWork file format. I am especially interested in keynote. I
have a course presentation written with keynote and LaTeXit, and the
PDF export is 12 MB, without animations. I would be happy to release
in keynote format (although the issue of font inclusion is not
clear... will iPhone 2.0 support more fonts?). And the powerpoint
export s***ks.

best,
	François